1. Get Motivated
Sadly, many of our societal norms involve abusing animals. The truth is most of us simply do not realize that we are supporting outright torture with our hard earned dollars. One of the best ways to avoid animal products is to watch a handful of documentaries that will help you realize WHY you are changing your habits so drastically. The answer may surprise you: plant based living saves your health, the planet’s health and of course billions of animals from suffering each year.
Here are our favorite documentaries to help expose the ugly truth that the meat, dairy and egg industries are hiding from you:
- Cowspiracy: a deep plunge into the sustainability of raising cattle for generations to come, and the effects cows have on our environment.
- Food, Inc.: a look at how, over the past 50 years, corporations have completely changed how food is produced and the laws that have been passed in order to protect their corporate practices.
- Forks Over Knives: unmasking how America’s eating habits exacerbate health risks and give concrete evidence that proves that a plant based diet helps control and/or eliminate diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
- Racing Extinction: a delve into how humans have lead to the loss of almost half of all species on earth.
- Earthlings: one of the most difficult films to watch, but also one of the most important! Earthlings exposes the profound suffering experienced by animals in all sectors of industry.
Social media has become a great way to learn and spread vitally important information, by subscribing to just a few of these pages you will continually be motivated to keep up the plant based lifestyle!
- VegNews Magazine — have inspiring articles about the plant based movement worldwide on a consistent basis as well as great educational articles.
- Mercy For Animals — thought provoking content that will engage you and make you think outside the box!
- The Dodo — an animal-centric organization that posts everything from fun puppy videos to heartwarming stories about animals in need.
- Leonardo DiCaprio — there is no shame in following this extraordinary celeb! His social activism is inspirational and educational, he does so much for the animals and the environment.
- My Vegan Dreams — if you really want to see the world through a plant based lens check this page out!
If You’re A Bookworm
These are our favorite books for those who want a deeper dive into these topics, if you want more, please donâ€™t hesitate to message us and we will be sure to send you in the right direction.
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows, by Melanie Joy.
- The Chain, by Ted Genoways
- The China Study, T. Colin Campbell & Thomas M. Campbell
- The Sixth Extinction, by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Face On Your Plate, by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
2. Apply some Self-Reflection
After learning the hard truth about habitat destruction, species loss, animal suffering and threats to human health you may need to take some time in order to really internalize all this new information. It can be shocking and you owe yourself some time to digest so much disturbing information.
A great place to do this is at a farm sanctuary! There are more and more farm sanctuaries popping up across the nation as more people learn the truth about how animals are used in food production. Farm sanctuaries are rays of hope for you to realize that change is possible and you can be a part of the movement for a better world!
Go meet the animals, put a face to the hunk of meat on your plate, see for yourself that animals have distinct personalities and vivid desires! If you are in Kentucky, please come to Compassion Champs and meet our incredible residents!
Similar to the experience you have when you purchase a new car and you start seeing your car everywhere on the road, once you have tuned into how we use animals in our society you will be astounded that animal products are pervasively used everywhere. Universally, there is no actual need to use animal products — but because of government subsidies in animal agriculture these products are easily available and highly affordable to industrial manufacturers.
The good news is that you can make simple changes every time you consume in order to help animals! Here are the 10 things you can do today to help animals, the planet and yourself!
At The Grocery Store
Try a new vegetable every week and get fancy in the kitchen! You will not believe the world of veggies that opens up to you, and all the fun things you can do with garbanzo beans, lentils, broccoli, brussels sprouts, avocados, quinoa, buckwheat, eggplant, mushrooms and so many more!
At The Restaurant
Ask for simple substitutes to make your meal more cruelty free! You can easily request olive oil instead of butter, or leave the cheese off that yummy salad.
In The Kitchen
Cut animal products out of at least 1 meal a day to start. Transitioning to a plant based lifestyle can seem daunting at first, so don’t take it on all at once. When preparing your meals at home, cut animal products out slowly but surely! Soon you will be a hero for the animals!
At The Cosmetics Counter
Dogs, cats and bunnies should not be tortured for our mascaras and soaps, unfortunately they are because it is cheaper to test on animals than to do petri dish testing. Luckily you can easily make sure you arenâ€™t supporting these barbaric and unnecessary testing protocols with some really cool apps! Only buy products that say they are cruelty free by looking for the leaping bunny label or something indicating that animals were NOT tested for the product.
You can easily find out if a product is cruelty free by using the following apps available on iPhone & Androids:
- Leaping Bunny App
- Cruelty Cutter by the Beagle Freedom Project
Just like your cosmetic and hygiene products, household cleaning products are almost all made by companies that test on dogs, cats and bunnies. Use your Leaping Bunny or Cruelty Cutter app while shopping for these sorts of products to make sure your dollars have not destined a dog to a life of pain. These apps also will show you great alternative products so, for example, you can purchase The Honest Companyâ€™s laundry soap instead of Tide.
You will be amazed by all the plant based options that you can have delivered right to your door! Amazon is an incredible resource for people living in remote and rural areas without access to progressive stores with plant based options as well as people who live in extremely urban areas with little or no access to fresh food or alternative options. Play around and just see if they have a vegan version of whatever it is you need to purchase, more often than not the answer is a resounding YES!
Buying New Threads
Animal fibers, feathers and skins are pervasively used in our clothing, and we innocently walk around believing that no animals were harmed for our wool sweater or angora scarf. The truth about where these animal fibers come from is horrifying – so ditch the horror and opt for some amazing cruelty free alternatives! All you have to do is read the labels while you shop to ensure you arenâ€™t paying someone else to torture an animal for your fashion.
Some great cruelty free brands:
- Save The Duck — cold weather clothing with high tech fibers that are warmer than feathers!
- Moo Shoes — for all your “leather” replacements, featuring all the great cruelty free Designers.
- Vaute Couture — for all you fashionistas out there, this is your spot!
Updating Your Digs?
Need a new comforter, pillow or sofa? Opt for a cruelty free version that uses high tech replacements for down feathers and leather. If we all start making conscious decisions when we make these big purchases we can make a huge difference!
Your Monthly Box Subscriptions
For those who find themselves addicted to the box of the month clubs like Birchbox or Graze, there are plant based cruelty free versions available for you to enjoy! Here are some awesome monthly boxes that will knock your socks off!
- Petit Vour — cruelty free beauty box
- The Honest Company — get all your household and beauty products with this box!
- The Vegan Conscious Box — a great resource for products that are great for you, the animals and the planet!
- Vegan Cuts Snack Box — for those who enjoy new snacks each month, this is for you!
Your Best Friend
Here is the scoop — dogs are not obligate carnivores, in fact they are omnivores just like humans. You can do Fido a favor and stop feeding him the nastiness that is put into commercial dog food and opt for a vegan option instead. The industry leader is V-dog, your dog will love it, and so will the planet!
Ready to Eat with Compassion?
Sign up here to receive encouragement, exclusive content, a veggie starter kit and a mentor who will guide you on your journey!